Fennel-Crusted Tuna, Tomatoes, Olives and Wilted Arugula Recipe
Net Atkins Count TM
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Phase: Phase 1
24 oz, boneless, raw Tuna
4 tbsp Fennel Seed
5 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp, drained Capers
1 clove Garlic
32 each Kalamata Olives
10 cup Arugula Lettuce
20 grape Tomatoes
If you don’t own a spice grinder, you can grind the fennel in a coffee grinder. Just be sure to completely clean it before and after. Substitute Kalamata olives if you cannot find Gaeta olives; you will need 1/2 cup. Tuna loin is a delicious fatty cut often used for sushi.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Season tuna with salt and pepper.
- In a spice grinder, pulse the fennel seeds to a powder. Place evenly on a baking sheet. Press tuna pieces against the fennel powder, turning to cover it on all sides.
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sear tuna until brown on all sides, about 2 minutes on each side. (The fish should be medium-rare inside.) When finished browning, place the tuna in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove the tuna from the oven, and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Wipe the sauté pan clean and heat over medium heat; add the remaining olive oil, olives and capers. Sauté for 1 minute, and then add the minced garlic and then arugula and quickly sauté until just slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon on serving plates and top with sliced tuna. Garnish with tomatoes.
This recipe was created for Atkins by chef Lynn Rinaldi.
Whether you’re feeding a family or cooking for one, you can update the serving settings above to reveal the required amount of ingredients.