It may seem like a challenge to tackle a tailgate while living a low carb lifestyle, but you’ll still come out a winner if you stick with the rules in my “low carb tailgate playbook”:
- Penalize Hidden Sugars. It’s easy to identify the likely culprits such as cookies and candy, but Hidden Sugars are lurking in everything from that hamburger or hotdog bun to ketchup and barbecue sauce, ready to send your blood sugar levels skyrocketing and fat storage. Skip the bun or wrap your burger or brat in lettuce and stick with no-sugar ketchup. Try this low carb Barbecue Sauce or Chili Barbecue Sauce instead.
- Master the menu before you go. If you’re watching the game at a restaurant or bar, check out the menu in advance for low carb options. Plus, eat a low carb snack before you head out so your hunger is under control.
- Stay smart at the stadium. Go with these low carb stadium eats: Roasted peanuts, hot dogs and hamburgers (minus the bun), chicken tenders (as long as they are fried but not battered), veggies and dip (a great source of fiber) or even a cheesesteak sandwich (bench the bun and get your fork out so you can dig in).
- Lose the booze? Say no if you’re on Level 1 of Atkins 20, but as long as you count the Net Carbs as part of your daily total, an occasional glass of wine or light beer is fine at Level 2 or on Atkins 40.
- Play the offense. If you’re not hosting the tailgate, offer to bring a veggie or meat and cheese platter or shrimp cocktail (or one of the low carb tailgate recipes below) so you know you’ll have plenty of low carb foods to nosh on.
- Add some winning low carb game day recipes to your playbook. Take your pick of these low carb tailgate recipes:
Smokey Southern Barbecue Rubbed Chicken Legs
No forks required! And you can dip these juicy chicken legs in low carb Blue Cheese Dip (which is also a great dip for veggies).
Throw your brats on the grill, top with slices of Swiss cheese and serve them with a side of sauerkraut.
These kebabs feature grilled eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini, summer squash and cherry tomatoes, but you can include any of your favorite veggies as well.
Did you save room for dessert? These tasty treats only have 2.7 grams of Net Carbs, and the added bonus of 7.2 grams of protein.