When those pumpkin spice lattes start appearing at your local coffee shop, you know fall is here. When I think of fall flavors, I think of comforting and creamy dishes featuring pumpkin (of course), apples and pears, butternut squash and mushrooms. You can still enjoy all the deliciousness of fall food without guilt by swapping out your traditional carb-heavy fall dishes for some of my favorite low carb fall meals:
- Pass on pasta- or rice-based casseroles and try creamy and comforting low carb soups full of fall flavors such as Creamy Pumpkin Curry Soup, Butternut Squash Soup or Creamy Mushroom Soup.
- Craving a chicken potpie? Go for Chicken Braised in Red Wine with Mushrooms or enjoy the low carb version of a chili-and-cornbread night with Two Step Salsa Chili and Atkins Cornbread (this chili and cornbread combo also works great for any sports-oriented gathering).
- Step right by the sugary muffins at the bakery and whip up these delicious low carb muffin recipes instead, which will fill your house with the smells of apples and spices and pumpkin and cranberries: Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Pecan Streusel and Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins.
- Lose the long line at the coffee shop for those pumpkin-spiced coffee drinks packing up to 50 grams of sugar and blend up a Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake instead, which has only 5.7 grams of Net Carbs and more than 25 grams of protein. Talk about breakfast in a glass! Caffeine not included.
- Pining for apple pie or apple crisp? Avoid all the carbs found in the white flour of your traditional favorites and try our low carb Classic Apple Tart or Baked Pear Fan.
- Halloween doesn’t have to be so scary when you learn why it’s so important to shun the sugar in typical Halloween treats. Instead, you can treat yourself to an Atkins Endulge Caramel Nut Chew Bar or Atkins Endulge Pecan Caramel Clusters. Upgrade your Halloween candy and hand out these low carb treats instead out instead!