Spring is here, which means it is time to get outside and enjoy the weather. Whether you’re into jogging, hiking, biking, golfing, walking the dog or visiting the neighborhood park, it’s always helpful to have some tasty and fast low carb meals and snacks to fuel your activities. The key is to minimize your time in the kitchen so you can maximize your time outdoors. You can start with these tips, plus low carb recipes for drinks, meals and snacks:
- H2-GO. If you’re upping your activity level, it’s important to stay hydrated. Water helps you cool down if it’s hot outside and it keeps digestion running smoothly, helps your organs function and eases hunger pangs. Keep your water bottle filled up and sip on it frequently throughout the day. If water isn’t your thing, tea, unsweetened iced tea and unsweetened sparkling water all fit the bill.
- Stock up. Fill your fridge with grab-and-go low carb foods. Hard-boiled eggs are protein-packed snacks, or you can chop them up and add them to salad. Keep sliced veggies (cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes and avocadoes), olives and cheese cubes on hand for snacks or salad toppings. Rotisserie chicken and deli ham, turkey or roast beef are perfect for wraps, roll-ups or salads.
- Garnish with grains. I tend to crave lighter and easy-to-prepare dishes after the heartier comfort food of the winter months, so I like to use grains and higher carb veggies as garnishes in my meals. Bulgur, faro, quinoa and barley can add crunch, texture and fiber to any salad. Cube half a potato or sweet potato and toss with mushrooms, zucchini slices and cauliflower florets, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for a savory low carb veggie side dish.
- Beware of booze. Warmer weather brings happy hours and barbecues. Skip the sugary mixed drinks and stick with stick with light beers and or wine spritzers. Alternate an alcoholic drink with water, club soda or carbonated water. Be aware that one too many drinks may increase your appetite and weaken your will power; if this happens to you, you might want to skip the booze entirely.
- Convenience is key. Do you want a sweet treat on the go that will fill you up and satisfy you? Atkins Plus Chocolate or Atkins Plus Vanilla shakes have 30 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. You can throw one in your backpack, golf bag or gym bag and make the most of your time outdoors while managing your appetite.
Super Fast Low Carb Snacks and Meals
Breakfast is a breeze with this smoothie, which is rich in protein and flavor. This homemade smoothie also makes a great low carb afternoon snack after a day enjoying the great outdoors.
Fresh mint and lime juice give this refreshing cocktail zesty flavor without all the sugar of a typical mojito.
This sweet and salty snack is perfectly portable; stash a portion in your purse, briefcase or desk drawer.
You can elevate your weekday snack with this roast beef wrap that comes together in minutes.
Who needs a sandwich with you have a turkey roll-up, topped with Swiss cheese, rich aioli (a French version of mayonnaise) and crunchy asparagus.
Tuna is an easy snack or meal, but don’t think of it as just ordinary. Pile this zesty tuna recipe on slices of cucumber and tomato or on a bed of fresh spinach.
Heart-healthy avocado halves serve as the perfect vehicle for a fresh and flavorful tuna salad. Add in a teaspoon of curry powder for a tasty twist.