Holiday Gingerbread Recipe
Net Atkins Count TM
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Phase: Phase 3
0 1/2 Atkins Soy-Free Flour Mix
0 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder (Straight Phosphate, Double Acting)
0 1/4 tsp Cloves (Ground)
0 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Nutmeg (Ground)
0 1/2 cup 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
8 large Egg (Whole)
9 tbsp Sucralose Based Sweetener (Sugar Substitute)
0 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter Stick
3 tsp Ginger
0 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
0 1/2 tsp Ginger (Ground)
1 fl oz Coffee (Brewed From Grounds)
3 tbsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
Use the Atkins recipe to make Atkins Soy-Free Flour Mix; you will need 1/2 cup.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 cup baking mix, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves in a bowl to combine.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar substitute with an electric mixer on high speed until thick ribbons form when the beaters are lifted, 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in melted butter until smooth. Add cream, fresh ginger and coffee; beat until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Add dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- With a clean mixing bowl and beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix one-third of egg whites into batter to lighten. Gently fold in remaining egg whites in two additions until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25- to 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on the rack.
- If desired, whip extra cream flavored with ground ginger and sugar substitute to taste. Serve gingerbread with a dollop of flavored whipped cream.
We love the idea of customizing this recipe to make it your own! If you add any ingredients, just be sure to keep an eye on net carbs.