Labor Day is one of the last great grilling days of the summer, so it’s easy to get carried away by all the delectable dishes. In order to keep yourself from overindulging (and winding up with a major food hangover), pack a low carb picnic and head to the nearest park. Not sure what to pack? Atkins has your low carb Labor Day picnic covered—try some of the low carb recipes below.
Low Carb Appetizers
Prep your palate with some of these scrumptious hors d’oeuvres:
- Asparagus wrapped in chili spiced bacon explodes with color and flavor and has 5g of protein, 10.2g of fat, 2.4g of fiber, 2.6g of net carbs, and 128 calories per serving.
- Nothing could be easier (yet still as tasty) as a plate of black olives with cheddar. For added flair, skewer them on toothpicks.
- Our cattle ranch beef spread spreads easily onto crunchy celery stalks—just keep in mind that each stalk adds 1g of net carbs.
Low Carb Sides
No picnic would be complete without these delicious sides:
- Atkins classic coleslaw omits carrots to reduce carbs. Each serving contains 3.7g of net carbs, 1.3g of protein, 18.9g of fat, 2.1g of fiber, and 201 calories.
- Guests will gobble up this basic egg salad. Add some spice with cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
- September marks the start of brussels sprouts season. Take advantage of the fresh harvest with these buttered brussels sprouts.
Low Carb Main Dishes
Labor Day recipes can be low carb and tasty to boot when you make these mains:
- If you have a grill on hand, you can make beef burgers with feta and tomato. One patty contains 24.3g of protein, 13.4g of fat, 0.5g of fiber, 1.3g of net carbs, and 231 calories.
- For a red meat alternative, try lettuce-wrapped chicken burgers. Topped with avocado and tomato, they’re anything but bland.
- No grill? No problem. These chicken salad wraps can be made in advance and packed in the car.
Low Carb Desserts
Finish your picnic on a sweet note with these low carb treats:
- One Atkins double chocolate cookie contains 2.7g of protein, 8.8g of fat, 4.5g of fiber, 1.4g of net carbs, 107 calories—and twice the chocolate.
- Snickerdoodle cupcakes offer the best of both worlds: classic cookie taste in cupcake form.
- We’re torn on which coconut dessert we love more: spiced coconut bark or truly coconut cake. Make both and let your guests decide!